In 1890, the University began with the idea of creating a place that unified great scholars through equal opportunity and year-round classes so that students could choose when to graduate. In 1910, the University adopted its famous arms with the phoenix emerging from flames, and its Latin motto, Crescat Scientia, Vita Excolatur (“Let knowledge grow from more to more; and so be human life enriched.”) "The Corem" with its focus on the classic texts and discussion, was established around 1929 by Robert Hutchins. He is also remembered for his emphasis on academics, and consequently, the abolishment of the football team in 1939. Read more about our history.
By the 1960s, the University had added a few modern buildings to its gothic campus including the Laird Bell Law Quadrangle (Law School) and the School of Social Science Administration (SSA). In 2012, the University completed the glass dome Mansueto Library, the Reva and David Logan Center for the Arts, and has continued to work on building a number of physical and chemical engineering buildings. The two coveted admissions essay questions in 2012 and 2011 were "Where's Waldo?" and "Find X."
On July 1st, 2006, Robert J. Zimmer became the 13th (and current) President of the University of Chicago. He comes to UChicago with a background in administration, mathematics, and physics. During his tenure, President Zimmer oversaw the construction of several new buildings, development on 53rd Street, and the creation of the Institute of Politics. Read more about the President's Office.